Our focus on safety and environmental stewardship stems, ultimately, from our focus on life--the lives of our employees, customers and communities and the lives of future generations. We have therefore created and manage many formal and informal programs that protect our human capital and the well-being of the other lives we touch.
We strive to create a culture and work environment that enables us to attract, train, promote, and retain a diverse group of talented employees who together can help us gain a competitive advantage.
We are dedicated to the continual training and development of our employees, especially of those in field operations, to ensure we can develop future managers and leaders from within our organization. In 2018 we established an organizational development team with responsibility for talent management as well ongoing training and development. Examples of the work this team will undertake include enhancements to development and succession plans, mentoring and change management initiatives, and diversity and inclusion programs.
Our training starts right at the beginning with good on-boarding procedures that focus on safety, responsibility, ethical conduct and inclusive teamwork.
In addition to on-boarding training we provide extensive ongoing training and career development focused on:
- compliance with our Code of Business Conduct and laws applicable to our business including:
- the importance of creating an inclusive environment that gets the best out of all employees and avoids illegal discrimination.
- the importance of individual responsibility in meeting our Code's requirements and taken action when needed, including reporting
- the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, trade controls and anti-boycott training for appropriate employees (the H&P FCPA Policy, which prohibits facilitation payments, can be found on our website)
- skills and competencies directly related to employees' positions
- commitment to an incident-free work environment
- responsibility for personal safety and the safety of fellow employees, others on location and the environment
Our Educational Assistance Plan offers reimbursement of tuition fees for any employee pursuing an undergraduate degree and, in some cases, post-graduate degrees.
All employees, including executives, with network access receive monthly information security awareness training. Our Cybersecurity team administers monthly simulated phishing campaigns to subsets of key employees and focuses on an all employee campaign (covering the CEO to individual contributors) at least twice per year. Senior leadership reports the results of information security training, phishing simulations, and other information security matters to the Audit Committee of our Board of Directors at least quarterly. The Audit Committee overseas information security risks, training, and compliance.
Health and Wellness
We are committed to the health and wellness of our employees. Our commitment is reflected in our health and wellness program which we believe offers our employees and their families a very competitive benefits package. We regularly benchmark our benefits against peers in order to ensure our offering remains competitive. In 2017 we engaged an external third party to help us with this work, and to make recommendations which are now informing our benefits plans. In an era where it is increasingly common for companies to cut back on benefits--or not offer them at all--our health benefits, we believe, put us in the best practice category.
Employee benefits we provide include:
- Medical, dental and vision insurance for all full-time employees, and all part-time employees working more than 20 hours per week, and their dependents
- 401(k) plan with company match incentive for all full-time employees, and all part-time employees working more than 20 hours per week
- Employer paid life insurance benefits which include a life assistance program, identity theft protection and travel assistance plan
- Employee discounts for phone, computer, personal vehicle, car rental and hotel purchases
We believe it is not only important to care about achievement of business goals but also how employees work toward achievement of those goals throughout the world. How we conduct business is guided by our values: Actively C.A.R.E., innovative spirit, service attitude and teamwork. We strive to create and maintain a global work environment that enables our employees and our organization to thrive. Our values are reflected in our Code of Business Conduct and Ethics, which emphasizes among other things our commitment to equal opportunity employment and a workplace free of discriminatory practices. All of our employees share the responsibility of understanding our commitment to our values and to uphold the same in the conduct of our daily activities.
Helmerich & Payne (H&P) recognizes the value of investing in our future. The Phyllis Dotson Scholarship Program offers children of H&P employees an opportunity to continue to learn and grow through higher education. Phyllis is the wife of George Dotson, a long-standing employee at H&P. Although George retired in 2006, both he and his wife have a passion for educating young adults and H&P strives to continue that legacy. Since 1999, scholarships have been provided to the children of more than 100 H&P employees.
The Phyllis-Dotson Scholarship Program is open to the children of all H&P employees, both domestic and international. All scholarships are granted without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sexual orientation, age, gender, disability, or national origin.