We are committed to operating in a clean, safe and environmentally responsible manner. We strive to minimize any potentially negative environmental impact our operations may have by reducing pollution and waste and conserving natural resources.
As a drilling company, our business is to build and renovate drilling rigs, and to oversee drilling operations on our rigs on customer sites. We do not buy, lease, prepare, manage or restore land on which rigs are located; pump oil or gas from the ground; procure, transport or pump water underground, or treat or remove waste water from the site, or arrange for its disposal; or, assume responsibility for the prevention of fugitive releases or emissions associated with the oil and gas production process.
However, we do have the ability to ensure that our rigs are designed to ensure minimal environmental impact, and our commitment to environmental stewardship helps us and our customers in our efforts to minimize operational risk, liability and other costs associated with various forms of pollution, contamination, resource and waste mismanagement, emission of harmful substances and non-compliance with regulatory requirements.
As with health and safety, we manage our environmental stewardship through our Health, Safety, and Environment (HSE) function.
Beyond ensuring we meet or exceed all applicable laws and client requirements, our focus on environmental sustainability is demonstrated in numerous ways, including:
- Applying industry-accepted environmental best practices;
- Minimizing rig physical footprints, and configuring drilling rigs, where appropriate, for space efficient multi-well pads, all to minimize the impact on the environment in which we operate;
- Conversion of many of our rigs to allow partial substitution of cleaner burning natural gas as a fuel source;
- Upgrading our drilling rig fleet to utilize AC/VFD power and control systems which are more energy efficient and have significantly lower noise levels as compared to SCR and mechanical drilling rigs;
- Striving to maintain isolation of drilling activities to protect ground and surface water in regions in which we work;
- Training of rig crews on spill prevention and emergency spill response procedures.
- Maintaining fully stocked emergency response kits at drill site to effectively contain any spills and prevent flow off of drill sites or into waterways;
- Minimizing the volumes of lubricants stored at drill sites;
- Extending the life of lubricants through use of condition monitoring and enhanced filtration technologies; and,
- Using in our facilities and operations a variety of initiatives to minimize waste such as recycling of paper and other materials.